Major Organizations Approved for Accreditation by CMS
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services has approved several organizations to conduct accreditation surveys on its behalf. Some of the common healthcare accreditation organizations by CMS include the following:
- Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP)
- Center for Improvement in Healthcare Quality (CIHQ)
- Community Healthcare Accreditation Program (CHAP)
- DNV GL Healthcare (DNV)
- Institute for Medical Quality (IMV)
- The Joint Commission (TJC)
- Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC)
Our team at Healthcare Life Safety Services has the experience and knowledge to help you prepare for accreditation surveys by these agencies. We will work with you at every stage of the process to minimize disruptions and to provide accurate information regarding the current status of your organization, buildings, equipment, procedures and the paperwork for your operations.
Key Elements in Your Accreditation Survey
CMS looks at seven basic elements when determining whether your healthcare organization qualifies for accreditation:
- Disaster Emergency Preparedness
- Security arrangements, including protection of patient information and physical security
- Safety management plans
- Fire safety as a division of life safety
- Hazardous materials handling and disposal
- Medical waste management and disposal
- Utilities, lighting and plumbing
- Medical equipment
Our Healthcare Life Safety Services team is well-versed in the types of issues that CMS-approved accreditation agencies look for when evaluating your clinic, hospital or medical practice. Our expertise will allow you to enjoy greater peace of mind throughout the accreditation survey process.
Accreditation Has Its Rewards
Accreditation by an approved national accreditation organization has been deemed by CMS to render healthcare facilities exempt from routine surveys by agencies authorized by your state. This can reduce the number of unannounced inspections your healthcare organization receives and can provide you with greater peace of mind and less stress regarding these assessment visits.
At Healthcare Life Safety Services, we are committed to helping you achieve the benefits of accreditation, including the ability to bill to Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services for patient care. Call us today to discuss your needs with our team of experts. We think you will be glad you did.